Saturday, January 06, 2007

Dementia? At 32?

Last night, I had to run an errand at the mall. I was just going to run in and run out. (Yeah, I know, highly unlikely.) However, I was able to go in, return an item, and get out of the store pretty quickly. It was when I stepped out of the store that the trouble began.

You've probably had this experience before. You step out of the store you were in, look to the left, look to the right, and then ask yourself, "Where am I? Which way did I come from?" Well, that was me last night. So I had to stop and think, what did I see when I came in the mall? What did I pass by? Am I going completely crazy? After a moment of forehead-furrowing thought, I remembered a sign I saw several stores down. OK, now I have a direction. Once I got going the right way, I saw the theater and remembered that I entered there surrounded by giggling teenage girls and pimply teenage boys trying to look very cool (or tight or whatever they say these days).

So out to the parking lot I go when I realize with a groan that I have NO idea where I parked. So I just started walking up and down the parking lot thinking I'd see it soon. Nope. I try and console myself by reasoning that I must have just really been deep in thought or highly distracted thinking about the errands I had to run. After about 10 minutes of wandering around aimlessly, clicking the lock and unlock button on my key ring in hopes that the car would wink and alert me to its location, I spotted it on the first row that I had looked. Of course.

I hear dancing and puzzles are good brain activity to help delay the onset of Alzheimer's disease. Anyone for a tango?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm only 28 and this sounds like something that would happen to me. It's just because we have so much on our minds. At least that's what I tell myself.

Jennifer said...

love your picture, by the way! You look great! :-)

Heather said...

Okay, I totally hate this! I do it, too. This is why we take someone with us to the store. Always.

Mary said...

Thanks Jenn!

And Heather, maybe I need to hire an assistant or something. What do you think?

Melissa said...

Ha ha - I do this almost every time I visit Walmart! Of course, the cars I use for landmarks are gone by the time I get out!

Shalee said...

Look at it this way: You got some additional exercise!

Ummm, yeah. I've done it too. And I'm older so, it looks worse for me.

Angie said...

Girl... over the Christmas holiday, I was *convinced* that my car had been stolen from the WalMart parking lot! I had WalMart staff reviewing security tapes and was about to call 911...

I remembered the *exact* place I parked the car... except it was on the OTHER side of the building, at the other entrance. I have never been so happy to be WRONG about something... but I was way embarrassed & felt like I was losing my mind!!!

So, I suppose you could say that I identify with you! :-)

P.S. I am so, so, so very happy for the way you've progressed with your weight loss! Your commitment to that will no doubt bless you in unimaginable ways... I am yearning to experience success with God in that area. So, again, I appreciate you sharing bits and pieces of your journey.