Wednesday, November 01, 2006

A Great Success

Last night, our little church that averages about 20 on a Sunday morning pulled off a Fall Carnival that was attended by over 100 children and we have no idea how many parents! Everyone put so much work into it and we were blown away by the turnout. It was encouraging for our little family to invest so much time and energy into something that was enjoyed so much by the community. Since we are in a new building, it was great for the community to see us where we worship, doing what we do best - ministering to kids. We have so many members in our congregation who are teachers or involved in the school system somehow that kids have really become our main ministry focus.

I did the clowning thing and dressed up as "Chipper". Balloon animals were enjoyed by all. I was impressed by the other adults in the congregation - almost everyone had a costume. Many adults are too embarrassed or too "grown-up" to dress up. I think this is exactly why we should do it. We just do not "play" enough as adults and Halloween is a great excuse to do just that! Some of the costumes I saw were a BIG smiley face, a Hershey's kiss, a scarecrow, a "spelling" bee, Elvis, biker dude and chick, Rambo, and a farmer. And of course, the kids' costumes were lots of fun too.

And best of all, I did not have a single piece of candy, cupcake (even though I baked and decorated 4 dozen), or cookie. Way to go me! The LA Weightloss thing is still going strong. JJ and I did a special 2 day "Take Off" on Sunday and Monday and I haven't been able to weigh in yet, but I will post my progress as soon as I weigh in. Stay tuned!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

So glad to hear about your fall festival success, and the "success" of not having any candy. I didn't have any either, and it was a very empowering feeling!