Friday, November 03, 2006

A "Tommy Boy" Moment

If you've ever seen the movie Tommy Boy, then you're sure to remember the part when Tommy and Richard are driving down the highway crying and singing the Carpenter's song, "Don't you remember you told me you loved me baby?" Then out of the blue, the hood of the car flies up and they almost get killed swerving in and out of traffic. Although very dangerous in real life, this scene is hilarious in the movie.

Well, our experience Wednesday night had only one thing in common with that scene. We were not crying (although we sure wanted to afterwards). We were not listening to the Carpenters (I believe it was NPR). But the hood of the car DID indeed fly up and hit the windshield of the car as we were going 70 down the highway.

Thankfully, no one was hurt. The windshield did not shatter. We did not have to swerve in and out of traffic in a dangerous and hair-raising way. Although I did scream. JJ, however, remained cool and collected (thankfully, he was driving) and calmly slowed down and steered us off the road.

We called for some help from some folks at church (we had just left there and were not far from the building) and they came and helped us get the hood back down. There had been some bolts missing from the piece that the hood actually latches onto and it was very loose. We just cannot figure out how that happened. We only bought the car (used) 2 months ago. I cannot believe that in 2 months time those bolts loosened up and fell out on their own.

I am trying to keep this in perspective. The Lord protected us and no one was hurt. There is extensive damage to the hood, but the car drives just fine. But, our insurance does not cover the damage and the dealership, as expected, is saying that this is not their problem. So it looks like our beautiful new (used) car will just have to live with its scars for quite awhile. Maybe forever.

There are much, much worse things in life. I just wish we could have a bit of a break to recover financially before we get hit again. and again. and again.

11 comments:

Melissa said...

So, so sorry to hear about your hood - but so, so glad to hear that everyone is OK!

I don't know how people maintain such control in these situations. Once, when I was a teenager, I was riding in my car with the windows down and someone tried to get into my lane. Did I blow my horn? No, I SCREAMED! Luckily, their window was down too, and they heard me.

If I was faced with a hood flying up on me, I don't know how I'd keep from passing out alltogether.

oshee said...

I am so glad you both came out of it safe. It must have been really scary. Probably gave you quite the adrenaline rush.

Kevin said...

just bring lots of bungee cords here. you can fix anything with bungee cords. Or you can ask someone if they want a lift, then offer the spot right on the "bonnet", and they will keep it weighed down for you!

Heather said...

Woo Hoo! Angie is a reconnecting point for so many! Glad I found you! I could have been one hood opening too late!

Hope you & JJ are doing well? Love ya!

Mary said...

Melissa- sounds like you've proven that screaming CAN actually be helpful sometimes!

And yes, oshee, the blood was pumping to be sure.

So Kevin, it's bungee cords in Tanzania, not duct tape? I'll have to remember that

HEATHER!!! Oh my goodness, girl. I am so glad to (what to I say here - see you, hear from you, what)? Anyway, can't wait to catch up a little. It's been what - 11 years or so? Man, that makes me feel old.

Anonymous said...

Scary! Once when I was driving down a freeway a lid off someone's "tuppertote" (big plastic storage box) flew onto the windshield and stuck there. It didn't even cover the whole windshield like the hood would... And it FREAKED me out! I'm so glad you guys lived to tell about it!

ramon said...

lol same thing happen to me such a scary feeling

Anonymous said...

actively rectifying federation reason blogger sbtplr nouns anshul palkowitz amunicipal saysin
servimundos melifermuly

Anonymous said...

packed hkstss koirala mepro shaded feeds cetuximab trident circle digitisation memberstom
servimundos melifermuly

Anonymous said...

missionmary.blogspot.com; You saved my day again.

Anonymous said...

I am reading this article second time today, you have to be more careful with content leakers. If I will fount it again I will send you a link