Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Dorky Shoes and a Dorky Song

This morning as I was getting dressed, I told JJ that I was wearing dorky shoes today and I didn't care. His response to me was, "Well, you go Jimmy Crack Corn!" From that point on, I was doomed. All morning I've had this going through my head:

Wearing dorky shoes and I don't care,
Wearing dorky shoes and I don't care,
Wearing dorky shoes and I don't care,
My master's gone away.

Then I start thinking, I have no idea what the original song means. Who is Jimmy and what in the world is "cracking corn"? And why would his master not want him to do that? Anyone have any ideas?

So, I've been posting my progress on my short-term weightloss goal, but now that I've met it, I thought I'd show you the "big picture". Not too shabby for going on 15 weeks.


4 comments:

oshee said...

Well...cracking corn means to crush it. But I don't know the history of the song.

23 lbs in 15 weeks is perfect. You lose it too quickly and it makes it more likely you'll regain it. Losing slowly is a better indicator of a change in lifestyle. GOOD FOR YOU!

Jennifer said...

Not too shabby at all, I'd say! I've never heard that song...it's...ummm...interesting. :-)

Shalee said...

It's a slave song, Mary. The master is his owner.

"This old slave song sings from the point of view of a house slave who was made to always swat flies away from his master. When the master is kicked into a ditch by his unruly horse, the singer sings a carefree chorus about a fellow slave who's done something wrong, 'and I don't care. Massa's gone away.'"

Mary said...

Thanks, Shalee. So does the master get kicked in the ditch during the verses or are we just supposed to know this? Maybe the chorus is just the only part that we hear today. Well, as my dad says, you learn something new every day!