Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Vacation Dilemma

Do you know any couples that have completely opposite vacation styles? One likes to relax and the other likes to go, go, go and see and do everything. I'm afraid that JJ and I are one of these couples. He is the "relaxer" and I, like my dad, am a "doer". Our 10th anniversary is coming up this July, we still have no idea of what we are going to do, and the pressure is on.

I mean, this is a big year and we both want to do something really special, but we disagree on what that something special might be. We have very little money to work with (I always thought we'd have our act together after being married this long!) and so we're going to have to drive somewhere close. We are about 3 hours away from Dallas, so to me this seems like a good option. I'd like to see some art museums and maybe a play. I'd be fun to find a place that plays jazz or go to a concert. But JJ's afraid that Dallas = shop. He wants to go to a bed and breakfast or a cabin on a lake. Now, please understand, I'm not enumerating all these facts in order to complain, I'm just trying to give you an idea of the situation.

Does anyone have any ideas? What are your favorite vacations or compromises that you've made that have worked for your families? I just want to make sure that if we compromise, it's not "giving in" so much that neither one of us is happy with the outcome! So, feedback, please!!!!!

3 comments:

oshee said...

When we plan vacations...I now try to always include one off day. Where all I have to do is sit around. Actually I usually find a place to do all the vacation laundry so that when we get home, we just unpack into our drawers. Makes coming home a peaceful thing.

So when we took the kids to Sea World 18 mo ago...two days at Sea World, One day at the Beach..and Sunday, we went to church in San Diego and We read books...etc.

Fulfilled everyone's needs.

Mary said...

I love the idea of not having to face laundry when you get back from a trip!

Your vacation sounds like a good balance. That's what we need to shoot for!

Jennifer said...

I can totally relate to different vacation styles. Hubby and I are going on a vacation late this fall and I want to go somewhere to relax (after 1 year apart for his job, 9 months pregnant, 1 year of nursing a baby...I NEED A BREAK!!!), but he wants to go to someplace like Washington, D.C...which I love, but to me it equals a lot of walking and stuff like that. I don't have any specific spot in mind, but I would find someplace that you can do things for a couple of days and then take a day to just do nothing, like oshee said. And having the laundry done...big perk!