Tuesday, May 16, 2006

We Are Not Alone

I had the opportunity to volunteer at ACU's graduation celebration last Friday night. It is the school's centennial year and so the party was extra big. It was a perfect night for it - the weather was gorgeous. There was a breeze, but it wasn't too windy (like it often is in west Texas). It was warm, but not too hot. So with these beautiful conditions and a free meal you'd think I was pretty content. I'm ashamed to say that wasn't the case.

With so many people participating, there were lots and lots of chairs and tables under several large tents. One of my jobs as a volunteer was to help fold the chairs up and stack them properly on the tables. Not too challenging. I helped out along with other volunteers in one tent, then moved on to the next. After we finished the second tent, I was told to go work on another tent. I went and started thinking everyone was coming in a minute. Well, I guess they all went to another location to work because I folded and folded chairs and no one came to help.

I started out feeling really good about volunteering my time. I had realized lately that my time was being spent entirely too selfishly and I needed to do something for someone else. But the longer I folded those chairs, the worse my attitude got. I kept thinking, where's everyone else? Why am I the only one doing this? I didn't sign up for this much work, especially to do all by myself! (I can't believe my perspective was so bad.) I even called JJ on his cell phone to tell him to come and pick me up. I wasn't about to slave away by myself. Thankfully, he didn't answer the phone and I got a second chance to correct my demeanor. I was almost done folding the chairs for that particular tent when a man came along and started to help me.

It was amazing how quickly my thought process changed. I reasoned, well, this will go a lot faster with 2 of us. We started talking and I was distracted from my lousy thoughts. Pretty soon, a whole group joined us and we made short work of what was left to do. When JJ called back, I told him I'd call him later so that I could make sure all the work had been done. Amazing what a little help can do.

I couldn't help but think that this is what the Lord must have had in mind when he created the church. How easily we lose perspective when we are alone and all we can perceive is a huge problem ahead. I mean, really, how bad was my situation? I was folding chairs for heaven's sake! But even the company of one more person made my task not only easier but a lot more enjoyable. How wonderful it is to have someone else along to help us carry our burdens!

If only we would turn to each other (and our Lord) more often when we need a little encouragement or a helping hand. I just picture Jesus up in heaven looking down on us and shaking his head saying, "Look around you child. Help is around every corner if you'll just ask."

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Thanks for being honest! So often I find myself complaining about something that should be a blessing to me (like staying home with a baby). I need a little perspective. At church on Sunday, I just looked around and thanked God for His family. The church is so important in our daily lives; knowing we are not alone on this earth but have a family that walks beside us. Thanks for the reminder!

Diane Viere said...

Great insight!

Turtle Guy said...

Perspective is everything, and sometimes it might be in our best interst to put ourselves in the shoes of the Almighty. Have you ever noticed that when you can see someone else's "big picture" it's really quite easy to provide solutions for their problems?

How then, can we do this for ourselves?

oshee said...

This is a beautiful post. I didn't comment when I first read it as I found myself in a grumpy mood. And this was far too inspiring for me to mess it up.

What strikes me as I read through it again is that we also have the power not just to ask for help, but to be that man who came in and just started helping. We see people in need throughout our daily lives. I know I don't always follow those promptings to help.

How rewarded and blessed I feel when something small I do is exactly what someone else needs. I need to keep my heart open for when it is my turn to be the giver.

I really enjoying your posts here Mary. You have a sweet way of showing us simple and brilliant things.


Oh..and I tagged you.
Take a look:
Five Things!