Monday, June 12, 2006

More from the Giant-Slayer

David & Goliath is such a familiar story and yet I really got so much out of it when we studied it in this Beth Moore series. Another verse that struck me was I Samuel 17:37. David is talking to King Saul, convincing him that he can take Goliath on. He has "practiced" on a lion and a bear that attacked his sheep and he says, "The Lord who delivered me from the paw of the lion and the paw of the bear will deliver me from the hand of this Philistine." This is another great "fill-in-the-blank" verse that we can draw on. I could say that the Lord who delivered me from unemployment will deliver me from job stress. Or the Lord who delivered me from the dilemma of what ministry our family should be involved in will deliver me from the uncertainty of the decisions we need to make in that very ministry! How would you fill in these blanks?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

MARY!!! I can't believe I found your blog! It was totally random! I had recently read the "Living and Dying at the Hilton" story & googled it hoping to print it out... I found it on your blog. So I just started looking around... and I was like, HEY I KNOW HER! :-)

It is so wonderful to experience a slice of your life via blogging. I had lost touch with you guys (and soooo many others over the years) & had no idea where you were. Are y'all in Abilene? I WAS JUST THERE! (see my blog for why)

This is a great post... I'm a fan of many of Beth Moore's studies, but I haven't ever experienced "A Heart Like His" from cover to cover... only pieces.

I would have to say... I know that the Lord who delivered me from depression and hopelessness had the power to restore the vitality of life and hope for my future. That same God can give me the strenth to overcome the lingering residue from that time of my life. More of Him and less of me...

Living with gratitude,
Angie Burns!

Turtle Guy said...

The Lord who delivered me from financial stress will deliver me from the fear of a much higher level of education.

Mary said...

Angie - I am so glad you found me. This has really been a season of "reconnecting" for me and I've really needed it. We've been here for around 5 months (I can't believe it's so long) and we still feel very "new". It does my heart good to come across old friends! So glad the Lord has delivered you from depression, but it is an ongoing battle, isn't it? I'm experiencing the same thing. Although I've dealt with a lot of it, there are residual issues and emotions that pop up.

Turtle guy - glad to hear that you're still fighting the battle against debt! Keep up the good work! And the Lord is great with fear - I hear that perfect love casts out fear!