Saturday, March 18, 2006

Now, Now, Mr. Socrates


Socrates once said, “The unexamined life is not worth living.” Don't you think this is a little harsh? I mean, he could have said, “It’s good to examine your life from time to time.” Or, “A personal inventory is a valuable thing.” So I don't think I've arrived at the same conclusion as Socrates, but I do agree with the basic concept.

We get so busy and our lives so full, we have little time for reflection. And I'm not necessarily talking about deep stuff here. Maybe I need to stop and ask myself if I have played lately. You know, indulged that "inner child". A coworker told me this week that they keep bubbles and playdough in their office for those tense days. What a great idea!

Or maybe we need to stop and take note of the people in our lives who we may be taking for granted. Or take a second to thank God for something simple like pillows or hot showers.

There have been plenty of times in my life when I was in "survival mode" and could not indulge in a "personal inventory". I was just too exhausted. But I find myself now in a really great place in my life when I have time on my hands. I know, many of you (especially with children) are going, "What must THAT be like?" Well, Hubby's in school and he's a night owl so I do find myself with some evenings free. Hence, the blog.

So after a thorough review, I'm going to have to say, Socrates, you've gone a bit too far this time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

my life is constantly being examined. but not by me, because i'm WAAAAAAY too busy living it!

Mary said...

I hear you! That's where I've been in the past and I'm finally getting a chance to take a breather. Oxygen is nice.

Shalee said...

You will find yourself addicted to it (the way that you are really into American Idol) as you get going on it.

I am so glad to see that you are in it, getting your hands dirty and enjoying the play...

Sniff... My little baby is growing up and blogging!