Thursday, March 30, 2006

Rats!

No, I'm not referring to the exclamation, I'm referring to the rodent. Yep, actual rats. In my department in the office. (Thank the Lord they're not in the house.) Also thankfully, I have not seen the varmints nor seen evidence of them in my area. A coworker has found thoughtful brown "presents" that they've left behind for her and this is how we know it is not a tiny mouse we're dealing with. These were big presents.

One woman opened her desk to find the little fiends had eaten her candy. One had a little treasure chest of mints and all that was left when she came back in the next day were a few wrappers on the floor. And then there's the scratching that she can hear coming from the ceiling tiles up above her work station. Holy cow, how can she get any work done?

Her productivity might not be affected, but her sleep has been. She is now having nightmares about the little buggers. In one she is chasing the rats around the office trying to hit them over the head with something (very caveman, very brave). In another, she actually dreamt that she woke up to find droppings on her pillow. Now that would have been the end of me. I have a new found respect for this woman.

I've been putting our candy bowls up on top of the file cabinets at night, hoping this will foil the little terrorists, but I think I'm just fooling myself. It's only a matter of time until they work towards my office. If you don't hear from me for awhile, check the hospital - I may have suffered from cardiac arrest.

No comments: