Thursday, March 23, 2006

Somebody, Please, Shut Me Down!

So here I am, 1:30 a.m., lying in bed and wide awake. And do you know what is going through my head? Files. Pictures of file folders and tabs. That interchanged with bits and pieces of the song, "With Imagination, I'll Get There" by Harry Connick, Jr. And it's driving me nuts.
And you've got to understand, this is muy unusual for me. I am one of these types that falls asleep when my head hits the pillow and I sleep all night long. (Please don't hate me.) But as I think about it, I do file all day. Mostly e-mail. My boss gets tons of e-mail every day and I get all his e-mail in my box, plus mine. So I'm constantly filing it in folders to keep track of it. I just didn't realize my subconscious was so busy working on all this.
Or maybe, I'm thinking in this not-so-lucid early morning state I'm in, this is some kind of message I'm supposed to be getting. What does "With Imagination" have to do with files? Should I be coming up with a new, creative filing system? (Apparently, my predecessor on the job did! See "Where I Am on the Anal Scale".)
And then I realize, I am completely balmy. Berserk, bonkers, cracked, crazed, cuckoo, daft, delirious. And my brain will not turn off. And now all I can think of is Adam Sandler singing in "The Wedding Singer", "Somebody kill me please. Somebody kill me please. I'm on my knees, pretty, pretty please. Kill me!" Can anyone relate?

4 comments:

Shalee said...

Totally... but not the sleeping part. But some of my favorite memories with you and JJ are when you fell asleep during some really highly explosive movie. You really can sleep through nuclear war, girl!

owlhaven said...

Here for the first time--I hope you get to go to Africa someday!

Mary, mom to many, including 2 from Ethiopia

Mary said...

Owlhaven - We have also thought about adopting African children. What an amazing thing that you have taken in so many. And what a blessing to have such diversity right in your own home. I pray many more blessings on you and your family!

And Shalee - I still possess the gift of sleeping - most of the time. Too bad it's not a spiritual gift!

Anonymous said...

Hey, girl. I miss you and I love your blog...I'll write more later!
Tell JJ HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

Love,
Jenni