Monday, March 20, 2006

A Scary Step

I recently read a prayer that knocked my socks off. It's recorded in Henri Nouwen's Sabbatical Journey, which is a journal that he kept during the last year of his life. This is a prayer that he prayed every day.
It's not that I hadn't heard any of it before, but talk about TOTAL SURRENDER. There is just something that really appeals to me about fully LETTING GO, but on the other hand, it sounds terrifying! I ask myself, could I ever really be in a place where I could honestly pray this prayer?
Then it occured to me, how would I ever arrive in that place unless I asked the Lord for His grace and mercy to put me there. So I'm taking one monster of a scary step and I'm going to pray this every day for 7 days.
I know that this kind of transformation takes time, but you've got to start with one step, right? And we'll see where the Lord takes me!

Father, I abandon myself into your hands.
Do with me whatever you will.
Whatever you may do, I thank you.
I am ready for all, I accept all.
Let only your will be done in me,
and in all your creatures.

Into your hands I commend my spirit.
I offer it to you with all the love that is in my heart.
For I love you, Lord, and so want to give myself,
to surrender myself into your hands,
without reserve and with boundless confidence,
for you are my Father.

No comments: