Saturday, April 01, 2006

Now That's Progress!

I've been writing a lot about exercise and weight loss this week, but another great thing happened last night. We went out to eat at Red Robin, home of the bottomless fries, for JJ's birthday. He's been looking forward to this ever since we started LA Weightloss 10 weeks ago.

We had picked out what we were going to eat before we even got to the place. I am married to a creature of habit when food is concerned and he has his favorite dishes in every place that we used to frequent. Red Robin is no exception so there was no question as to what fare he would choose for the feast. He was having a MONSTER BURGER. With fries. And ranch dressing. And a DIET Coke (now that's a triumph all on it's own)!

I, on the other hand, had set a goal for myself of losing 10 pounds by the end of April (not off to a good start, by the way.) So I figured I'd better be at least a little good. After all, it wasn't my birthday. So I had a sh'room burger with no bun and a side salad (OK, OK, I'll be honest - I snuck 2 of JJ's fries too). And do you know what we discovered? It was not nearly as satisfying as we had expected. It was good. And it was especially nice to have our friends with us to enjoy the celebration, but we could have done without the burgers.

This is really encouraging to me. Food is losing its pull on us and it seems personally, that is a victory far and above weightloss alone. Our attitudes are changing and it gives me hope that this will not be a temporary change for us.

I was also able to see the bigger blessing. We've only lived here for 3 months and we were surrounded by friends who wanted to celebrate with us. We had such a great time laughing, talking, and of course making disgusting jokes (one of which included belly button lint. Believe me, you don't want me to go into it!)

And THEN, to top it all off, there I was, celebrating the 31st birthday of the man that I have been married to for almost 10 years. This is a man who is intelligent, talented, hard-working, a great friend, and just lots of fun to be around. God is so good.

No comments: