Monday, April 17, 2006

Ants on a Log and Other Wacky Foods

I have rediscovered celery & peanut butter. I really can't stand celery by itself, but add peanut butter and a few raisens and you have culinary magic, my friend. So I was eating this for lunch the other day (don't fret, the p.b. was low fat) and I told JJ that it'd been a long time since I'd had ants on a log. First, he was disgusted at what I was eating. (He makes it a general rule to stay away from anything green.) But then, he was impressed with the naming of my odd fare. (He thought I had made this name up myself.) I wanted to take the credit, but alas, I could not.

Then I started thinking about other odd foods or food combinations and odd names for food. A girl I knew in college used to like peanut butter and dill pickle sandwiches. Believe it or not, I tried this with sweet pickles and liked it. I don't eat it very often, just when I really feel like grossing JJ out. Then there's the snack I enjoyed growing up, bananas with cheese melted on top. Delish! And I hope I don't ruin these yummy cookies for anyone by telling this story, but a roommate of mine used to call no-bake cookies "cat grunt cookies".

Now, I know I don't have a ton of visitors or anything, but I thought it'd be fun to ask y'all if you had any odd dishes you like or funny names for food you'd like to share. After all, there is such a wide array of vittles out there to enjoy!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you tried peanut butter and potatoe chip sandwiches. Straight out of a Stephanie Plum novel.
I love chocolate ice cream with green olives buried in the ice crea.

Jennifer said...

I don't have any weird names for foods, but I do like to put chips in my sandwich. It's not good enough to just eat them on the side...I need them to crunch when I bite into the sandwich! I also LOVE to put cornbread in a glass and fill it with milk, then eat it. It's so yummy and reminds me of my childhood--my grandpa used to do it all the time.

Melodee said...

Um, no.

Well, when I was growing up, we called the following food tacos: soft corn tortilla, crumbled hamburger (salted, only, please), lettuce, chopped dill pickles, shredded cheese and ketchup.

My husband thinks this is disgusting.

Mary said...

Drunk chicken sounds good! There's a sauce they have in Mexico called "salsa borracha" (drunk sauce) for the same reason - it has alcohol in it of some kind.

Olives in chocolate ice cream. . . Interesting. I'll never call someone else's food gross b/c it's OK to like different things, but this one comes close!

JJ likes chips in his sandwiches too!

He also calls tortillas "burrito shells" b/c that's what they called them growing up, but MOSTLY because he knows it annoys the HOUND out of me!

Anonymous said...

Agree with aggiejenn! Chips in sandwiches rock!! Whatever made you try olives in icecream? Pretty bold step! :)

At our house the kids love scrambled macaroni. Just mix up enough eggs in a bowl to equal 1 per person. Pour over cooked macaroni. Add salt & pepper and stir while cooking on low until the eggs set up. Great with baby dills! Best if the macaroni is fresh cooked but it's a great way to use up leftover macaroni too!

Jennifer said...

I just wanted to let you know that I had Ants on a Log for a snack yesterday afternoon after reading this post. I'd never tried that before, but it was so yummy! (And a great snack on my diet...usually I would have gone for cookies, but we don't have them in the house anymore!) Thanks for the idea.

oshee said...

I haven't had ants on a log in some time. My kids weren't thrilled with the celery and just licked the peanut butter and raisins off. I don't know how I got such picky kids. I ate most everything as a kid.

You haven't posted your weight loss progress in awhile. How's it going?

Jennifer said...

Hi Mary!! You've been tagged. Go to my "Reflecting Him" blog for details. Have fun! :-)

C. H. Green said...

Salad dressing sandwiches. Miracle Whip on bread with salt. That's it.

oshee said...

Mary, I wanted to let you know I've added you to my blogroll. I've placed a link to your blog on my own.