Tuesday, April 04, 2006

The Great Dodge Strike of '06

Like most strikes, this one comes at a most inopportune time. On Saturday I noticed the car was hesitating a little when I started it. Then Sunday, everything was fine. We drove our 45 minutes and back to the little country church where Hubby preaches without incident.

But when it was time for JJ to go to the library to work on some big papers he has for graduate school, he turned the key and the car only growled at him. I think it was grumpy. Not nearly as grumpy as JJ was when he realized he had 4 papers and 1 rough draft due in the next 10 days (ranging from 5 to 20 pages in length) and no way to get to the library.

Actually, he did have an alternative. His two legs peddling him on his bike. You see, we are a one-car family. I just thank the Lord that we are close to the university.

By some miracle, the big hunk of metal started Monday morning so I was able to get to work and then to the mechanic. But this means we didn't have the car to go to the grocery store, LA Weightloss to weigh in, or to JJ's boxing club that he started going to last week. I just did not realize how much we depend on our car. And a big chunk of our income depends on us getting to our little country church every week.

Even as I write this on my lunch break at work, a friend came by to say hi. She's a graduate student, and like a lot of other students around here, does not have a car at all. Mary, say hello to perspective.

Thank you, Lord for the many things that I do have and give me patience and perspective when things don't go my way.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

I can totally relate to car issues. Hubby's car is in the shop for who knows how long, so Caleb and I have to get up and take him to work and pick him up. Unfortunately, his work is not close enough for him to ride a bike! :-) I hope things get worked out soon. Blessings!

oshee said...

I am finding perspective all over today. Thank you for sharing yours.

Bobita said...

Such an excellent post!

I love your perspective.