Sunday, April 02, 2006

Let's Not Major in the Minors

I was trying to keep things pretty light and non-confrontational here at "Mary on a Mission", but I just can't keep my mouth shut on this one. I recently read the transcript from Nancy Grace's show on CNN when she interviewed the Baptist pastor Tom Ruhkala about the Church of Christ. (If you'd like to read the transcript yourself, I do not know how to insert a link here yet, but just go to http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0603/27/ng.01.html. You have to scroll down quite a bit to find it, but it's there.) Anyway, he says some unflattering things about the Church of Christ, to put it mildly, and I decided to write a letter in response. I will probably never send it as I imagine he'll be pretty difficult to contact for the next little while. (Can you imagine how many members of the Church of Christ would love to talk to him right now?) Anyway, I decided to post my letter here. At the very least, my mommy will read it.

Dear Pastor Ruhkala,

I recently read the transcript of the interview that you did on CNN with Nancy Grace. I have grown up in the Church of Christ and so you must know that I write this letter with great sadness.

My reaction is due to several things. First of all, I understand that there is a minority of my brothers and sisters who are closed-minded and feel they are the only ones going to heaven. I grieve that this attitude is still present, although to a very small degree in the Church of Christ. However, I think it is unfair to label all of the Churches of Christ as having this mindset. I’m sure there are some of your Baptist brothers and sisters with whom you disagree on some things. It would be unreasonable of me to say that all Baptists believe the same things and so I am asking you to extend our churches the same courtesy.

Secondly, I take Jesus very seriously when he says the most important commandment is to love the Lord your God with all your heart and to love your neighbor as yourself. I feel fairly sure that you and I can agree on this issue. I find that many of the debates that divide us as Baptists and members of the Church of Christ (or Methodists, the Christian Church, etc.) are of little consequence in light of Jesus’ command to love God and man. Therefore, I feel that speaking out against each other (in public or private) is not helpful. Ephesians 4:29 says, “Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.”

Finally, Pastor Ruhkala, I need to make it clear that I very much feel that you are my brother in Christ. As I thought about your CNN interview, one passage in particular came to mind that I would like to share with you in closing. John 13:34-35 says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” As a woman who truly has a heart for those who do not yet know Christ as their savior, I feel that it is more important as Christians to show the unity of love than be divided by our differences. If it means that more people will follow Christ, then don’t you think that we should focus more of our energy into loving than debating and dividing?

Thank you for your time. I do want to extend my most sincere apologies for any of my brothers or sisters that have ever said an unkind word to you or ever mistreated you and hope that in time, you will come to know the Church of Christ as a loving body of people who are only trying to please their Father.

In Christian Love,

Mary
A sister who is looking forward to meeting you in heaven

On a lighter note, my short-term goal is to lose 10 lbs. in 5 weeks (which is the end of April). So far, I'm a little behind. Here's a chart of my progress and thanks to "One Woman's World" for the idea from tickerfactory.




2 comments:

Diane Viere said...

:O) Thanks for stopping by my blog! I am happy to meet another mom...who has been bitten!

Diane

Anonymous said...

Well said daughter. So proud of you and your love for God and others.