Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Me and Modern Technology

Yes, these 2 terms used to be mutually exclusive. But check this out. In the past month or so, I've stepped into the blog world AND learned how to use the "shared music" feature of iTunes at work. And last, but certainly not least, (can I get a drum roll please?) . . . ta da! I got a cell phone! Little old me! (Am I hearing groans of disappointment? What were you expecting? Rocket science?)

You've got to understand, I've never had one before! Even though JJ's had them for work purposes, I never could justify one for myself. I was beginning to feel like Wilma Flintstone, talking on that horn-shaped thing they had in those good ol' caveman days. And actually, when I told people I didn't have a cell phone, some of them looked at me like horns were growing out of my head!

So now it's my turn. It turns out that now I get one through my work. Ha! As I was reading thorough the manual (trying to figure out how the tricky little bugger works), I found some very helpful hints. Here are just a few:
  • Do not dispose of your battery by fire or with hazardous or flammable materials.
  • Never store your phone in temperatures less than 4 degrees or greater than 122 degrees.
  • Do not drop, strike, or shake your phone severely (even when the person on the other end is acting like a complete moron).
  • Do not use your phone in highly explosive areas as the phone may generate sparks. (I'll have to remember to stay away from all those highly explosive areas that I frequent!)
  • Do not disassemble the phone.
  • Never place your phone in a microwave oven as it will cause the battery to explode.
Well, I'm sure glad they told me. Now that you have this valuable information, go and do (or do not do) likewise.


5 comments:

oshee said...

Congratulations on making it to the 21st century. :-)

I used to have a cell phone..but gave it up when I quit my job to be momma. I miss it.

Kevin said...

my uncle dropped his cell phone in a public swimming pool. It was done. Then some 10 year old kid told him to stick it in the microwave. So he tried it. And it worked...

but someone probably tried this trick but set the microwave on popcorn or something... huge lawsuit ensued... thus the idiotic warning.

Jennifer said...

Isn't it amazing what they have to tell us in manuals. My mom dropped hers in a mud puddle in the driveway; it stayed there all day. She found it when she got home, dried it out, and it works just fine! Welcome to the world of cell phones. (I had to convince hubby that he needed one several years ago...he was VERY reluctant, but now can't live without it!)

Mary said...

JJ has both washed his cell in the washing machine and dropped in the toilet. It survived the toilet, but not the washer.

Shalee said...

I left my cell on the back porch and it rained hard that night. Took a couple of days to dry out, but it survived.

Congrats on the weight loss by the way! I'm truly impressed!