Thursday, April 20, 2006

Let's PLAY!

Did you ever play "office" as a kid? Occasionally, when we tired of playing school, the neighborhood kids and I would. We'd shuffle paper around and make very official-looking marks and we felt quite important. This whole topic came to mind because of my new office job, you see. I realized what a child I can be when it dawned on me that one of my favorite things about work is my rolling chair. I get to roll back and forth between my desk and my file cabinet. And if no one is around, I push off and gleefully glide from one place to the other. (Yipee!) I also like my stamps. I just love to stamp a paper with the words "copy" or "paid". (I have black or purple ink to choose from - how cool is that!) I jam out to Carly singing "You're So Vain" or I crank out "Hit the Road Jack" or the Dixie Chicks. AND I bought some bubble gum scented bubbles to blow on the days when I'm feeling a little stressed or bored or someone has a reason to celebrate (like the doctoral students who pass their thesis defense).

Life's too short not to add these playful moments into my day. And they remind me not to take myself too seriously. I just hope that my coworkers don't start picking up on my behavior and have me committed! Maybe I can find someone who will play with me. . .

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where did you find bubble gum scented bubbles?

Anonymous said...

We so used to play office or even better if you liked the stamping stuff was bank teller. Loved the stamping!! :)

Mary said...

Wal-mart has all kinds of different scented bubbles - I just thought that the bubble gum scent seemed most appropo. (They were in the section with the kids' summer stuff.)

oshee said...

I never played office growing up, but we played school all the time. Making the red check marks on my younger siblings papers always delighted me lol. My husband works in an office with a lot of technology geeks. They all have toys on top of their monitors. WHen we visit I have to constantly remind the kids NOT to touch the adults little toys. My husband's monitor has more any any of them tho. We are all kids at heart.

Jennifer said...

I LOVED playing office when I was little because I was (and still am) a paper FREAK! I have loved paper since I was about 2, when my little metal desk with two drawers was FULL of it. I love stamps and markers and colored pens and stickers...

Thanks for the memory! And, HAVE FUN at your job...it sounds like you already are! :-)

Turtle Guy said...

My dad was an elementary school principal. I used to get TONS of paper, pencils and binders to play with. Yes, we played house, but playing school and office were a lot more fun, because I already had all the tools! You might say that in a way I was the envy of the neighbourhood kids. Mind you, they had Weebles before I ever did... oh, and did I mention that all my friends were GIRLS?

...if I'd known then what I know now...